Name: Noha A. Yousri
Occupation: Professor, Computer
& Systems Engineering Dept., Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University,
Research Interests: Pattern Recognition, Data Mining, Bioinformatics
- Research Interests:
- Pattern Recognition (Clustering, Classification,
Outlier analysis, Validity, Feature Selection, and others).
- Bioinformatics: Gene expression analysis, Biological
- Text Mining: Document analysis, Information Retrieval,
and Social Networks.
- Ongoing research:
- Current research in Pattern Recognition focuses on
enhancing exploratory tools for discovering clusters of arbitrary shapes
and densities, to find the natural clusters in high dimensional data.
This includes fuzzy exploration techniques, validity measures, outlier
analysis, and core pattern analysis. These tools can be used in a number
of real applications as medical data, text and document analysis,
character recognition, face detection, etc.
- Current research in Bioinformatics focuses on
analyzing public and local gene expression sets, to derive interactions
between genes and biological entities relevant to a particular cancer.
Gene expression is analyzed using cluster analysis, over-expression and
pattern core filtering, along with gene functional annotation and pathway
- Current research in Text Mining includes text and
document analysis/Mining using unsupervised learning, for web documents,
recommender systems and social network analysis.
- Doctor of Philosophy degree from Computer and System
Engineering Dept., Faculty of Engineering, University of Alexandria with
co-supervision by Dr. Mohamed Kamel under a
visiting scholar program at the University of
Waterloo, Canada. Thesis title: “Novel Methodologies for Discovering
Clusters of Arbitrary Shapes and Densities in High Dimensional Data with
- Master of Science degree from Computer and System
Engineering Dept.1, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria University,
January, 2003. Thesis title: “New Algorithms for Materialized View
Selection in a Data warehouse”.
- Bachelor degree from Computer & System Engineering
Dept.1, Faculty of Engineering, Alexandria university,
August, 1999. Graduation project field: Implementing a data warehouse
o Pattern Recognition Course [PDF]
o Operating System Course [PDF]
o Bioinformatics Course [PDF]
o Advanced Bioinformatics Course [PDF]
in teaching/have the ability to teach:
- Pattern Recognition. Introduced and taught an undergraduate
course: Pattern Recognition at the affiliated department of Computer and
- Bioinformatics. Introduced and taught two graduate
courses: Bioinformatics and Advanced Bioinformatics at the affiliated
department of Computer and System Engineering.
- Operating Systems (undergraduate course)
- Machine Learning.
- Research Grants:
- Breast Cancer bioinformatics research project (Co-PI),
funded by Alexandria University and Alexandria’s Regional Center for
Woman’s Health and Development, April 2011. Collaborators: Faculty of
Medicine, Alexandria's Regional Center for Woman’s Health and
Development, and American University in Cairo (AUC).
- “Auto-Scoring System of Arabic translation”, (Co-PI)
funded by CMIC (Microsoft Innovation Laboratory in Cairo), July 2011.
- Text mining research project funded by CMIC (Microsoft
Innovation Laboratory in Cairo) between November 2008 and July 2009. (PI:
Mohamed Kamel (University of Waterloo)).
1. Noha. A. Yousri, KORA Cohort, Karsten
Stable and Unstable Metabolites over
Long Terms for a given Subjects’ Cohort”, Poster Presentation, EMBO Practical Course on Metabolomics Bioinformatics for Life
Scientists, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, UK, February
2. Noha. A. Yousri, KORA Cohort, Karsten
Suhre, “Long Term
Stability of Metabolites in Longitudinal German Population Study”, Poster
Presentation, Weill Cornell Medical College- Qatar’s Research Retreat, Doha,
Qatar, January 2013.
3. Noha A. Yousri, Dalal M. Elkaffash: Associating functional
groups to multiple clinical types using combined t-test scores and
contingency-based measures: a study on breast cancer genes. International
Journal of Computational Biology and Drug Design 5(3/4): 261-283 (2012).
4. Mohammed A. Gaafar, Noha
A. Yousri, Mohamed A.
Ismail: A novel ensemble selection method for cancer diagnosis using microarray
datasets. IEEE 12th International conference on BioInformatics
and BioEngineering, BIBE 2012: 368-373.(acceptance rates in previous years
range from 12% to 40%)
5. Rania Ibrahim, Naglaa Ahmed, Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed A. Ismail: Incremental Mitosis: Discovering Clusters of Arbitrary Shapes and
Densities in Dynamic Data. ICMLA (1) 2012: 102-107. (Acceptance rate according to 2010 is 44%)
6. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel, Mohamed A. Ismail: A Possibilistic Density Based Clustering for
Discovering Clusters of Arbitrary Shapes and Densities in High Dimensional
Data. ICONIP (3) 2012: 577-584
7. Ahmad M. Bakr, Noha
A. Yousri, Mohamed A.
Ismail: Efficient incremental phrase-based document clustering. International
Conference of Pattern Recognition, ICPR 2012: 517-520 (Accepted for oral presentation :Oral presentation acceptance Rate : 15%, paper acceptance rate :
8. Amr Magdy, Noha
A. Yousri, Nagwa M. El-Makky: Discovering Clusters
with Arbitrary Shapes and Densities in Data Streams. ICMLA (1) 2011: 279-282
9. Noha A. Yousri, Dalal M. Elkaffash: Associating gene
functional groups with multiple clinical conditions using Jaccard
similarity.IEEE BIBM Workshops
10. Noha A. Yousri: On the validation of gene expression clusters. IEEE 5th Cairo
Engineering Conference (CIBEC), Cairo, Egypt,2010.
11. Noha A. Yousri: Cluster-based characterization of
gene over-expression in cancer sets. ISDA 2010: 74-79.
12. Noha A. Yousri: A validity index for outlier
detection. ISDA 2010: 325-329.
13. Noha A. Yousri: A Multi-objective Sequential Ensemble
for Cluster Structure Analysis and Visualization and Application to Gene
Expression. MCS 2010: 274-283.
14. Kareem Darwish, Ahmed El-Deeb, Noha
A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel: Improved relevance
feedback using density-based clustering. ISDA 2010: 580-585
15. Nesreen Mahmoud, Hend El-Eraky, Noha
A. Yousri, Sara Magdy, Omneya Khaled, Mai Ahmed, Shaimaa Abdel-Moety: A novel interactive
visualization framework for gene expression analysis. ISDA 2010: 1247-1252
16. Ahmed Elgohary, Hussein Nomir, Ibrahim Sabek, Mohamed Samir, Moustafa Badawy, Noha
A. Yousri: Wiki-rec: A semantic-based recommendation
system using Wikipedia as an ontology. ISDA 2010: 1465-1470
17. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel, Mohamed A.
Ismail: A distance-relatedness dynamic model for clustering high dimensional data
of arbitrary shapes and densities. Pattern
Recognition 42(7): 1193-1209 (2009)
18. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel, Mohamed A.
Ismail: A Fuzzy Approach for Analyzing Outliers in Gene Expression Data. BMEI (1) 2008: 207-213
19. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel, Mohamed A. Ismail: Finding Arbitrary Shaped Clusters for Character Recognition. ICIAR 2008: 597-608
20. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel, Mohamed A.
Ismail: A novel validity measure for clusters of arbitrary shapes and densities. ICPR 2008: 1-4
21. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed S. Kamel, Mohamed A.
Ismail: Pattern Cores And Connectedness in Cancer Gene
Expression. BIBE 2007: 100-107
22. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed A.
Ismail, Mohamed S. Kamel: Discovering Connected
Patterns in Gene Expression Arrays. CIBCB 2007: 113-120
23. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed A.
Ismail, Mohamed S. Kamel: Fuzzy outlier analysis a
combined clustering - outlier detection approach. SMC 2007: 412-418
24. Noha A. Yousri, Mohamed A.
Ismail, Mohamed S. Kamel: Adaptive similarity
search in metric trees. SMC 2007: 419-424
25. N. A. R. Yousri, Khalil M. Ahmed, Nagwa M. El-Makky: Algorithms for selecting
materialized views in a data warehouse. AICCSA 2005: 27
- “Unsupervised Data Exploration Challenges and
Application to Bioinformatics”, Carnegie Mellon University Qatar, October
- “On the validation of gene expression clusters”, in
IEEE 5th Cairo Biomedical Engineering Conference (CIBEC), 2010.
- “Cluster-based Characterization of Gene
Over-expression in Cancer sets”, ISDA 2010.
- “A Validity Index for Outlier Detection”, ISDA 2010.
- “A Multi-Objective Sequential Ensemble for Cluster
Structure Analysis and Visualization & Application to Gene
Expression”, Poster Presentation, In International Workshop on Multiple
Classifier Systems, MCS 2010.
- “Gene Expression Clustering and Pattern Analysis”,
Nile University, November 2009.
- “Fuzzy Outlier Analysis” in IEEE SMC (Systems Man
& Cybernetics), Montreal Canada, October, 2007.
- “Adaptive Similarity Search” in IEEE SMC (Systems Man
& Cybernetics), Montreal, Canada, October, 2007.
- “Pattern Cores and Connectedness in cancer Gene
Expression” in IEEE BIBE (International Conference on BioInformatics
and BioEngineering), Boston, USA, November
- “Discovering Connected Patterns in Gene Expression
Arrays”, poster in IEEE CIBCB (Symposium on Computational Intelligence in
Bioinformatics and Computational Biology), Hawaii, USA, April, 2007.
- Pattern Recognition Journal
- Pattern Recognition Letters Journal
- Algorithmic Operations Research Journal
- ICPR 2008, 2010 (International Conference on Pattern
- ICONIP 2009,2010 (International Conference on Neural
- CIBEC 2010 (Cairo International Biomedical Engineering
- IEEE AICSSA 2008 (ACS/IEEE on Computer Systems And